Thursday, March 12, 2015

Master Bath

One of the first projects I tackled in our new house about five months ago was the master bathroom. Here are a couple of "before" photos:




It is a nice but obnoxiously spacious bathroom (that I have to clean! *sad face*), but as usual not our style. Caleb wanted the room to look and feel like those we see in hotels and resorts: sleek white countertops with dark cabinets. However, to replace all the cabinetry was out of the question. Truly, this bathroom has more cabinets and drawers than any reasonable person could possibly need. It's really ridiculous. Even now, I refuse to use more than half of them simply out of principle.


I did some research and found a stain many said was the only one worth using:

 


So I began by sanding all the frames, cabinet doors, and drawers. Story of my life. After wiping them down, I applied three coats of stain and two coats of topcoat with my kids’ old socks (I knew there was a reason I saved them!). This took some patience. After the first coat, I found that the coverage was very uneven. Here is a shot of my dungeon workspace:


When I was finished, however, Caleb & I were really pleased! So easy peasy! They turned out great. Five months later, so far so good. Spots wipe off without a problem:


I finally got around to painting the room with Benjamin Moore’s Intense White, a soft white with the slightest hint of grey. I wanted a crisp, warm feel that tied in with the new grey floor tile. I love it.


Included wall art after attempting what I thought would be a simple DIY project of dressing up a couple of plain white frames with a touch of gold. I saw an interior designer do it in her own house. I was quickly reminded why she is a professional and I am an amateur. Glad I did it, though, because I think they make the room look more polished but I don't plan on doing it again:


I really love how simple and clean this whole room feels… even if I’m behind on my scrubbing!










1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello, were the counter top also painted? Could you please share ? Thank you so much!